Arthur Stone retired in 1937 and sold his shop to Henry Heywood.
The Stone Sterling Shop mark was used c. 1937-1938.
The business was quickly renamed Stone Associates. Usage of the Arthur Stone
mark was resumed with the addition of a lower case H in a shield. This mark was
Arthur J. Stone shop mark, used c. 1906-1937.
Stone's earliest mark was a simple chasing hammer and was used c. 1901.
Another mark, a single S with a hammer through it, was used beginning around 1902.
Because of high demand for his work, Stone began taking on
assistants in 1906. Stone wanted each of his assistants to sign
their own work, so each craftsman's surname initial was added
along with the Stone shop mark, either next to the Sterling mark
for flatware or below the Sterling mark for holloware.
We have included a table of assistants' marks further down on this page.
In some cases it can be determined who made an object and during what
time period. In other cases, because different assistants shared the same
initials and specialties, it is impossible to ascribe a particular mark to a
Heywood's sons continued to run the shop until 1957 when it went was closed. Ernest W. Lehtonen
acquired the mark which he used on flatware, changing the lower case H in the shield to a capital L.
|Arthur Stone Workshop - Table of Assistants
|After having worked decades for large silver companies such as Dixon & Sons, the Wm. B. Durgin Co.,
and the Frank W. Smith Silver Co., Arthur J. Stone established his own workshop in 1901.
|Herbert A. Taylor
|George P. Blanchard
Charles W. Brown